The
conversation
is
represented as taking place in the evening (see l.
represented as taking place in the evening (see l.
William Wordsworth
The chapel,
rebuilt in 1743 by Robert Bateman, stands in the village of Ings,
which is in this chapelry. The free school was endowed with land in
1650 by Roland Wilson, producing at present ? 12 per annum. The average
number of boys is twenty-five. This endowment was augmented by ? 8 per
annum by Robert Bateman, who gave ? 1000 for purchasing an estate, and
erected eight alms-houses for as many poor families, besides a
donation of ? 12 per annum to the curate. This worthy benefactor was
born here, and from a state of indigence succeeded in amassing
considerable wealth by mercantile pursuits. He is stated to have been
poisoned, in the straits of Gibraltar, on his voyage from Leghorn,
with a valuable cargo, by the captain of the vessel,"
(See 'The Topographical Dictionary of England', by Samuel Lewis, vol.
ii. p. 1831. )--Ed. ]
[Footnote F: There is a slight inconsistency here.
The conversation is
represented as taking place in the evening (see l. 227). --Ed. ]
[Footnote G: It may be proper to inform some readers, that a sheep-fold
in these mountains is an unroofed building of stone walls, with
different divisions. It is generally placed by the side of a brook, for
the convenience of washing the sheep; but it is also useful as a shelter
for them, and as a place to drive them into, to enable the shepherds
conveniently to single out one or more for any particular purpose. --W.
W. 1800. ]
From the Fenwick note it will be seen that Michael's sheep-fold, in
Green-head Ghyll, existed--at least the remains of it--in 1843. Its
site, however, is now very difficult to identify. There is a sheep-fold
above Boon Beck, which one passes immediately on entering the common,
going up Green-head Ghyll. It is now "finished," and used when required.
There are remains of walling, much higher up the ghyll; but these are
probably the work of miners, formerly engaged there. Michael's cottage
had been destroyed when the poem was written, in 1800. It stood where
the coach-house and stables of "the Hollins" now stand. But one who
visits Green-head Ghyll, and wishes to realize Michael in his old
age--as described in this poem--should ascend the ghyll till it almost
reaches the top of Fairfield; where the old man, during eighty years,
'had learned the meaning of all winds,
Of blasts of every tone,'
and where he
'had been alone,
Amid the heart of many thousand mists,
That came to him, and left him, on the heights.
rebuilt in 1743 by Robert Bateman, stands in the village of Ings,
which is in this chapelry. The free school was endowed with land in
1650 by Roland Wilson, producing at present ? 12 per annum. The average
number of boys is twenty-five. This endowment was augmented by ? 8 per
annum by Robert Bateman, who gave ? 1000 for purchasing an estate, and
erected eight alms-houses for as many poor families, besides a
donation of ? 12 per annum to the curate. This worthy benefactor was
born here, and from a state of indigence succeeded in amassing
considerable wealth by mercantile pursuits. He is stated to have been
poisoned, in the straits of Gibraltar, on his voyage from Leghorn,
with a valuable cargo, by the captain of the vessel,"
(See 'The Topographical Dictionary of England', by Samuel Lewis, vol.
ii. p. 1831. )--Ed. ]
[Footnote F: There is a slight inconsistency here.
The conversation is
represented as taking place in the evening (see l. 227). --Ed. ]
[Footnote G: It may be proper to inform some readers, that a sheep-fold
in these mountains is an unroofed building of stone walls, with
different divisions. It is generally placed by the side of a brook, for
the convenience of washing the sheep; but it is also useful as a shelter
for them, and as a place to drive them into, to enable the shepherds
conveniently to single out one or more for any particular purpose. --W.
W. 1800. ]
From the Fenwick note it will be seen that Michael's sheep-fold, in
Green-head Ghyll, existed--at least the remains of it--in 1843. Its
site, however, is now very difficult to identify. There is a sheep-fold
above Boon Beck, which one passes immediately on entering the common,
going up Green-head Ghyll. It is now "finished," and used when required.
There are remains of walling, much higher up the ghyll; but these are
probably the work of miners, formerly engaged there. Michael's cottage
had been destroyed when the poem was written, in 1800. It stood where
the coach-house and stables of "the Hollins" now stand. But one who
visits Green-head Ghyll, and wishes to realize Michael in his old
age--as described in this poem--should ascend the ghyll till it almost
reaches the top of Fairfield; where the old man, during eighty years,
'had learned the meaning of all winds,
Of blasts of every tone,'
and where he
'had been alone,
Amid the heart of many thousand mists,
That came to him, and left him, on the heights.